Today, 22/9, we started making the cabinets that will go opposite to the lounge/bed.
We are using Tasmanian Oak (a hardwood from Tasmania) and marine plywood. All dressed 42mm x 19 mm and 6ee5 mm x 19 mm is used for the frames joined with pocket hole screws.
The Kreg pocket hole jig and their screws are very easy to use and made a neat and strong join.
The plywood it is glued to the frames and because we do not have a selection of clamps for every job we are using weights to press the ply to the frames.
The corner lounge /double bed it is finished, now we only have to make the under bed storage doors and some few details.
We finished the retractable slat section for the couch and part of the bed and tested it before fixing it to the base/storage. It works fine so now will screw it to the base and will be ready to take it to the van when required.
The slat is made using 42mm x 19 mm all-dressed pine. The base using Tasmanian oak timber and plywood treated with clear varnish.
After finishing the floor we started building the cabinet carcasses. Marine plywood and Tasmanian oak timber are used to make sure that the cabinets will last and fewer chances to get mold if we go far north where the humidity is very high.
The cabinet behind the seats will hold the 54 liters water tank, the pump, and storage including the portable gas stove.
The one on the RHS will be for the 12 V DC – 240 V AC fridge and freezer plus storage above it.
More cabinets will be on the LHS opposite to the couch/bed
We started making the bed which will be 1.95 M long and 1.20 m wide when in bed form.
We finished the DC, AC and the reverse camera wiring and fitted the original wall trimmings.
We were going to use plywood for the wall but after considering that nearly all the walls are not going to be seen and we can save a considerable amount of money and time the logic idea was to use the original ones.
We started presenting on the floor the vinyl planks and tomorrow we will glue them in place with a cement that will be easy in the future to remove any plank in case of breakage.
It was a messy task indeed but it is necessary to have a well-insulated camper here in Tasmania.
The 25 mm Foilboards fitted very nice and as per specs, we left a gap between the insulation and the van panels.
All the gaps on the edges of the panels were filled with expansion foam.
Next job will be the wiring.