Fitting the floor insulation

Today, 26/8 we fitted the Foilboard polystyrene on the van’s floor and also started with the installation of the 9 mm marine plywood.

We used the old floor as a template which has to be adjusted due to a different position to the original floor which has the provision for the wheelchair lifter.

The Tasmanian weather was on our side so we managed to finish with the insulation and cut the two large pieces of plywood.

IMG_20170826_142241724

IMG_20170826_173949456IMG_20170826_174008051

Advertisements

Preparing the floor

The first task is to block all the holes on the floor which were to secure the seats, anchor points, wheelchair lifter and securing the plywood.

I used a roof flashing tape which it is all-weather and waterproof.

IMG_20170824_152328034

Each hole was cleaned and plugged. Later on, I would paint the chassis and the bottom of the floor with thick chassis paint to seal any hole and also reduce the road noise

Tomorrow we start with the insulation and preparation for fitting the 9mm marine plywood.

 

 

Removing the wheelchair anchor points and the plywood floor

This was a productive weekend thanks to the cooperation of the weather.

The job was to remove the wheelchairs anchor points to be able to take out the plywood floor. Not a simple task because each anchor has 4 bolts with nuts underneath of the van which were spinning.

Once the anchors were removed we were able to take the two pieces of plywood without any damage.

We cleaned the floor and now it is almost ready for the second stage, plug many holes left by pop rivets and several bolts.

The Toyota commuter buses have an anti rattle membrane bonded on the floor to reduce the noise. This membrane is sticky and with the years the felp bonded on the vinyl floor covering was glued to the membrane. It took few hours to remove it.

 

Start working in the van 17-8-2017

After removing the seats and the wheelchair lifter, today we approached the task of removing the floor which is the first job that has to be done to have a “clean canvas” to start the conversion.

The heavy duty floor cover used in this van it is glued to the plywood. The glue did not become soft using the heat gun so brutal force was only the way.

Once removed the vinyl we drilled out the pop rivets that secure the plywood the van’s floor.

The next task will be to remove the wheelchairs anchor points that I was unable to do it alone because the nuts under neath are spinning so I would need help to hold the nuts when I unscrew the bolts from the top.

Our new van to convert to a camper

We sold our vintage Franklin Arrow caravan and bought in Melbourne a Toyota Hiace Commuter for converting it to a campervan.

The van has only 112000 km which are very low kilometers for a 12/1993 model, they usually have well over 300000 km up to 700000 km or more for that year.

It is equipped with a wheelchair lifter and few seats that have to be removed to register it to a 3 seats van.

Here are few photos of it including boarding the Spirit of Tasmania ferry in our return to Tasmania.

IMG_20170801_171135_127

IMG_20170802_150016477IMG_20170802_150036775_HDRIMG_20170802_150046367

Boarding the ferry

 

IMG_20170806_212053_459

Melbourne at night

IMG_20170806_212834976

On the road to Hobart

IMG_20170807_145125_367

The ramp out of the ferry in Devonport, Tasmania

IMG_20170807_074100895

Arrived to Hobart

IMG_20170807_112411650